On October 14th, at approximately 4:15 a.m. St Albert RCMP were notified by the victim, that their silver Ford Escape had just been stolen from Langholm Drive.
RCMP members observed the stolen vehicle turn onto Giroux Road from Larsen Avenue, travelling east bound. Police followed the stolen SUV into Sturgeon County while requesting the assistance of Edmonton Police Service (EPS) Air-One. The stolen Ford Escape turned into a rural sub-division cul-de-sac and a St. Albert RCMP member positioned their patrol vehicle, blocking the street entrance to the cul-de-sac, attempting to stop the stolen SUV. The driver of the stolen vehicle accelerated and rammed the rear passenger side bumper/corner box of the police vehicle blocking the street entrance, causing significant damage. The stolen Ford Escape then took off south bound into Edmonton.
With the assistance of EPS Air-One and EPS Patrol Units, the stolen Ford Escape was located and a male youth was arrested. The male youth was charged with numerous Criminal Code offences but cannot be named in accordance with the Youth Criminal Justice Act. The St. Albert RCMP member suffered minor injuries from their patrol unit being hit and the stolen SUV, although recovered, sustained damaged to the front end.
Vehicle theft affects many Canadians and their insurance rates. Many vehicle thefts and/or theft from vehicles are preventable and by following a few easy steps, one may reduce the risk of becoming a victim:
- Lock vehicle doors and keep windows rolled up.
- Park in a locked garage or a well-lit and well-populated area.
- Remove keys, garage openers and vehicle registration papers from the vehicle when you leave it.
- Check on the vehicle regularly even if it is not being used.
- Refrain from leaving vehicle unlocked and running, unless a remote start system is installed in the vehicle.
- Refrain from leaving any items in an unattended vehicle, even in the trunk.
- Install a vehicle alarm.
- Use a steering wheel locking device.
(#9PMRoutine / Lock It or Loose It)
Anyone who has information on any crime is asked to contact the St. Albert RCMP Detachment at 780-458-7700 or their local police. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play.